Monday, June 04, 2007

The boy who turns onto a dog

I am coming down a steep flight of wooden stairs when I hear a commotion below me. Some boys run past me up the stairs, looking frightened, and I see they are being threatened by another boy their own age. He is a scary kid - he has that vibe of someone you can't trust. As I come up to this kid, he suddenly turns into a pitbull & bites my right hand. I can hear the bones crunching. People see me in trouble but keep their distance because of the dog. Some call for help.

The dog doesn't tear at my hand, but just holds it tight in its jaws so I can't move. I try to ignore the pain while I wait for help to come. In my mind I am thinking, how can this be resolved so that the dog doesn't have to die? As I think that, the whole world goes to sleep.

Everyone in the world hibernates for a long time. I wake up early, and my hand is healed. I think about the dog, but someone tells me it is still asleep, and if it wakes up early, then nothing will change. Some creatures have to sleep longer so they can change for the better. Later on, I see the dog, and it has changed back into the boy, and he has grown up into a man who works on fishing boats. We only see each other for a moment, and it is uncomfortable because of our past conflict, but he seems a nice enough man and I am relieved.

No comments: