Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I dreamed an episode of Doctor Who.

Walking with a neighbour, I come to a park bench and there's a man sitting there. He's Asian, with dull bushy hair and dressed in jeans and a hoodie. My friend speaks to him gently for a while. Someone passes by and says, "Why are you so nice to that guy?" My friend says "He's going to die soon." She puts her hand on his leg and shows that he is skin and bones, his leg the thickness of a bone under his jeans.

We sit with the man - it seems his mother is there too. Then there's a party; a bunch of neighbours gather. The man takes an interest in me and tells me I too will be dead soon, maybe in a year and a half, unless I make changes. I lean over the table to reach for something, and while I do he leans on my back and spits on me. Supposedly that's healing.

Later, we are walking past a business and the owners are closing up, taking some things out to a vehicle and tidying up inside. There's a sign on the window proudly describing the oil well that used to be on that very spot a century ago.

Suddenly there's a mild rumbling in the ground that continues for several minutes, and somehow we know the building is possessed. Some otherworldly creature has moved in. It's in the basement. The owner angrily goes down there and comes back enraged, because the whole basement is sealed off with grown-in roots of some sort, white like bratwurst.

Then The Doctor arrives. He says in his giddy way that such-and-such has taken over the building and we must be very careful of it. The owner, hearing this, decided, against The Doctor's advice, to go back to the basement and try to force the thing out. He saws at the roots that clog the door but before he makes any progress, there's a scream from below and the building quakes severely. The floor bursts open, the building shatters, and a giant insect crawls out of the roof and into the house next door, where the sleeping owners wake in horror and run into the street in their pyjamas. The otherworldly creature now has their house; the business next door is a ruin.

People keep on using the house, because it's in one piece, but the energy inside is so fearful, so oppressive, that everyone connected with it goes through their days with a haunted look around their eyes. The Doctor, meanwhile, tries to find a way to expel the creature.

No comments: